Wednesday 22 October 2008

Meet the band...

Keyboards: Neal Cowerd
I like to call him Neal 'Down' or Downsie or Geoff (but drummers are always Geoff... unless they're a Steve). Yes, Geoff, after the great Asia and Buggles keyboard player, Geoff (kneel Downes!)... apparently he played with Yes, but I don't remember that. A journalist suggested we should knickname him Noel, but I don't know why.

Drums and Percussion: Geoff Free
Trouble is, he isn't... free. He's cost us a bomb what with a new kit last week, always losing his drumsticks and, since the new kit, we've had to hire a larger van for our current tour. Having said all that he's a great bloke. Rubbish drummer... but a great bloke. Sometimes we call him Downsie...

Bass: Glynn Miller
Glynn plods along nicely and he's rock 'n' roll through 'n' through. If he was a stick of seaside rock, it would say rock 'n' roll. He's got all the trimings... Harley Davidson, leather jacket, faded Levis, black cowboy boots, shades. Shame about the hearing aid though... especially when it interferes with the PA. We all call him Windy, although a fan once said we should call him Glenn... but I can't see why we should.

Guitars: Mark S Tey
Marks got a couple of really great guitars, they look gorgeous. Sometimes they sound good too. He's been playing guitar for ages now... since lunchtime and its now nearly midnight. The neighbours will be banging on the wall in a minute to get him to stop strumming and twanging. I think they'd put up with it more if you could recognise any of the tunes he was playing... but you can't. Still, I wouldn't have any other guitarist in the band, well, he's the one with the money, the equipment, the van, knows all the landlords... its his band, really I suppose...

Vocals: Me
It was my idea to do this blog, the others didn't want to and I have to do something as most of our numbers are instrumentals. I've been not singing in bands for over twenty years now. It all started when, at one of our early gigs we did a number with a very long intro and when it got to the vocal part, I'd forgotten the words and the band played on without me. Everyone said it sounded really good and I've been not singing ever since, really. I quite enjoy it... keeps me out of trouble.... and I'm one of the few non-singing vocalists out there. The critics say I have a very quiet style... which they quite like, I think.

1 comment:

Sharon B said...

knew downsie back in 75 ........great at blamming every one else ...for his howlers..
he had a little dog with a hanky around his neck....